POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grass using MultiMesh : Re: Grass using MultiMesh Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass using MultiMesh
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 11 Sep 2005 23:20:00
Message: <web.4324f321d597e82bad93754b0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
> "PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
> ...I doubt the idea is new; I'm probably just
> > re-inventing the wheel.
> >

> Doesn't matter!
> I never really analyzed the existing (grass)macros (e.g. Gilles  Tran's),
> and they may use the same technic, I don't know.

I haven't looked at them at all. I only have 256Mbytes, so I tend to stay
with simpler scenes.

> I remember that I made a
> small bamboo macro with only 1 jointed bamboo stalk which was repeated
> continually, while rotated and scaled randomly within given boundaries. I
> included even some wind effect. I must have it somewhere. I haven't used it
> now for some years.

My first grass scenes also just used a single blade, with random rotations &
scaling. That worked pretty well, but the MultiMesh method is faster & more
efficient.

> It is always nice to have something simple, working smoothly. Good work!
> Thanks for sharing!

Yes, sometimes simple things can take a long time to get right. I just
solved a subtle problem with isosurfaces that's been bugging me all year.
What a relief!